Search This Blog

Pages

May 11, 2013

Wings of the Storm: Total Reaction

I started out thinking I wasn't going to like Susan Sizemore's novel Wings of the Storm. A lot of my friends are big Dr. Who fans and really like the blue time traveling Tardis and "timey-wimey wimbly-wombly" goings on. Me, I can take it or leave it, but if pressed, the Fourth Doctor is my Doctor. Sizemore's time traveling heroine goes through a blue time and space continuum back to the 12th or 13th century. I thought I was in for a cheesy romp through Doctor Who with off cast characters.

Instead, I got a believable secondary world with loads of fully realized characters. Daffyd ap Bleddyn and Jehan FitzRose can't figure out if they love or hate each other. A baroness is given a makeover to make her more appealing to her young knight of a husband in a time when marriages were contracts for the transfers of land and money, more than love. The vagaries of life in a distant time compared to now are highlighted by the heroine's coming to terms with being stuck in the past and no way of returning home.

The story ended and I didn't want it to end. I wanted to see the heroine deal with the aftermath of some things. I also wanted to see more of the relationship that had started in the book. I'd like to see a sequel to this with the same characters.

I received my copy of this book through the NetGalley program from the publisher for my giving my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment